Friday, March 13, 2015

Pointe Shoes, and the Difficulties WIthin

Pointe shoes, or should I say "toe shoes" according to the general public, are a major part in a ballerina's career. In fact, they make a dancer complete when dancing in a ballet. It is often the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word 'ballerina', how effortlessly they glide across the stage, as if the pointe shoes are part of their feet (sort of are, when you think about the time spent in them by company dancers). They are stunning, but incredibly hard to master and, for me, incredibly hard to find for YOUR feet. By that, I mean that everyone's feet are different and require different a fit, luckily with a huge variety of brands and sizes of pointe shoes to choose from. That is what I aim to do on this blog: give insight on pointe shoes and some helpful pointers to help you reach your potential on that one inch tip made of wood. This will kind of be like a science class on ballet, specifically pointe shoes.

*I am not a doctor or professional pointe shoe-er (probably not a thing), just someone with some experience who's sharing helpful tips learned on the difficult journey to finding the perfect pair (still on that journey). You should always do whats best for you, and if what I say with affect you in a negative way, please do not do it.... thanks! Also, for terminology help, check the Dictionary page on my blog.

To start, here is a list of existing pointe shoe brands I could find:

Bloch, Capezio, Chacott, Freed of London, Fuzi, Gaynor Minden, Grishko, Mirella, Prima Soft, Repetto, Russian Pointe, Sansha, Suffolk, Só Dança.


Here's my thoughts on the one's I've tried:

Grishko (2007) - My first pair of beauties, must I say. At the time of starting pointe, I had a teacher who taught a more Russian style, and highly recommended (more like requested) us to start by wearing Russian Pointe or Grishko. I have wider feet, so Russian wasn't an option for me (or so I thought). I think she did this because these shoes were harder than others, and our feet would grow stronger faster, which did work for many of us
. Grishko's worked very well with my feet, and still do, but don't quite showcase the arch that I really have. The box is very nice, but the shank breaks in in mainly one place, and that place wasn't the highest area of my arch, which is why I never felt the shoe hugged my foot. It is also very tapered, which I now think may have contributed to my bunions (as well as inherited genes). These shoes are definitely up there on my list of preferences.

Grishko. Credits to: static0.dancewear365.com



CONTINUED IN NEXT POST... sorry, it's just a bit of a big topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment