Friday, January 30, 2015

The Experience and All the Little Details

Another two-part post... there's just too much to talk about with these things!

This past weekend was the longest weekend of my life, but probably one of the most memorable. Twelve of us from our studio made our way down to Las Vegas to compete in YAGP (check out my last post for preparation details), for our second year. To be honest, I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but I still had a blast and gained a lot from this experience in positive ways. I'm going to format it kind of like my Nutcracker post to explain how each day went... hopefully you will want to go to this competition after reading this, and I highly suggest you do sometime in the future! Alright, now down to business.

Thursday, January 29 - And we're offff *airplane lifts off*

I think I'm physically and mentally challenged when it comes to packing... my brain gets stuck and I find myself laying on my floor, picking at the carpet with a bobby pin.  That's why it's crucial for me to make a list, and so I did last night.  And now I am double checking over that list, and probably will a few more times in final hours before my flight. TIP: If you are flying somewhere for a performance of some type, do not risk checking anything you will be needing onstage (costumes, pointe shoes, tights, etc.)... that would not be good if your expensive costume ended up on the wrong side of the country.   I love style, and this is Vegas, so I spent a lot of time, a little too much time, debating which outfits to bring last night at midnight.  Now we are about to leave for the airport (so much better than driving) and will be there by 6:00 tonight!

We just arrived at our hotel, which is 5 minutes away from the theatre (bonus #1), our room is like a little apartment with a bed room, bathroom, and living room/kitchen (bonus #2), and the pool meets the (high) expectations of my eight-year-old sister (bonus #3)!  Time to go to one of the many cool restaurants in this town, tour it a bit, and then get rested for my big day coming up!
Photo Courtesy of blog.dancedirect.com

Friday, January 30 - The day we've been training for...

I thought I would be more nervous, but I was wrong.  I just finished getting ready for my contemporary, which I am competing first, then followed by many hours to return late tonight for my classical *sigh*.  That is the one thing about YAGP competitions - with my experience so far, the schedule has been slightly wacky.  Anyways, back to reality.  We are almost to the dressing room, where my teacher will warm me up and I will stretch until a few before me.  At that I point, I will go back stage with my music and headphones, and run my dance multiple times.  Every time I am about to go onstage, I always get butterflies and excited about the number before me... I can't believe that will be happening so soon, once again!

...

One done, one to go!  I feel really good about how I did with my contemporary, which I think is the most important thing with this competition.  Of course, being my critical self, there were parts that I could have done better, but it's enough to just be able to perform on stage.  I'm feeling a little shaky from the adrenaline, which means I should probably eat soon.  We have a team dinner tonight, but until then, I'm going to go take a nap in my amazing hotel bed.  I've got to have enough energy, not only to get me through the rest of the day, but to perform again!  See you in a few.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment